After studies in literature at the University of Nanterre and Fine Arts in New York, Marie Losier made numerous avant-garde, intimate, poetic and playful films portraying film makers, musicians and composers including Alan Vega, Jonas Mekas, Peaches, George Kuchar, Guy Maddin, Richard Foreman, Tony Conrad and Genesis P.Orridge. Far removed from biographical or factual conventions, her films explore these artistes’ lives and work based on the ties of trust and friendship, allowing all sorts of follies and eccentricities and concentrating on their pleasures, dreams and everyday sublimations.
Her first full-length film “The Ballad of Genesis and Lady Jaye” draws a delicate portrait of Genesis Breyer P.Orridge and his group Psychic TV. After being presented at more than 280 film festivals, it was released to the public in 2011 in France, the U.S.A., Canada, Germany and Mexico, winning a dozen awards.
Regularly featured at prestigious festivals (Berlin, Rotterdam, Tribeca, CPH:DOX, Bafici, Cinéma du Réel, Hors Pistes etc.), Ballad and her other films are also often screened in museums, including the Tate Modern (London), MOMA (NYC), the Centre Pompidou and the Cinémathèque Française (Paris) as well as at the Whitney Biennal (NYC)…
Closing the chapter after 21 years programming films at the Alliance Française in New York (FIAF/www.fiaf.org) in 2013, she has now returned to Europe and is preparing her two next full-length films: “Casssandro, the exotico!”, for which she received the sought-after Guggenheim Award, and “Peaches Goes Bananas”. She settled in Berlin, taking a residency at the DAAD, and is currently in residence at the Cité des Arts in Paris.
THE BALLAD OF GENESIS AND LADY JAYE (2011) (IMDB)
- 16mm, colour, sound, 72 min
- with Genesis P-Orridge, Lady Jaye, Psychic TV…
- L’Oiseau de la Nuit (2015) Film 16mm, 20 min, couleur, with Deborah Kristal, Joao Pedro Rodriguez, Joao Rui Guerra DaMata… Film Omnibus, HERE LISBON, produced by Indielisboa with Denis Cote, Gabriel Abrantes and Dominga Sotomaya
- Peaches and Jesper fell from the boat, who stays afloat? (2014) video, couleur, 5 mn avec Peaches et Jesper Just / Venice Biennial
- Bim, Bam, Boom, Las Luchas Morenas! (2014), 16mm, colour, 13 mn, with The Moreno Sisters.
- Alan Vega, Just a Million Dreams (2013), 16mm, couleur, 13 mn, with Alan Vega, Liz Lamere and Dante Vega
- Buyn, Objet Trouvé (2012), 16mm, couleur, 6min, with Byun Chong and Kiya Chong
- Cet Air Là (2010), 16 mm, 3 min, B & W. with April March and Julien Gasc
- Slap the Gondola! (2010), 16 mm, musique April March, 15mn, with April March, Tony Conrad and Genesis P-Orridge
- Papal Broken Dance (2009), super 8 & 16 mm, musique PTV3, 6 min, avec Genesis P-Orridge, Tony Conrad
- Dreaminimalist (2008) 16mm, sonore, 27 mn. with Tony Conrad
- Snow Beard (2008), 16 mm, sonore, 3 mn, with Mike Kuchar
- Manuelle Labor (2007), 16 mm, super 8, sonore, 10 mn. Collaboration with Guy Maddin
- Flying Saucey! (2006), 16 mm, colour, sonore, 9 mn.
- The Ontological Cowboy (2005), 16 mm, colour, sound, 15mn, with Richard Foreman
- Eat Your Makeup! (2005), 16 mm, colour, sound, 6 mn, with George Kuchar
- Electrocute Your Stars (2004), 16 mm, colour, sound, 10 mn, avec George Kuchar
- Bird, Bath, and Beyond (2003), 16 mm, colour, sound, 13 mn, with Mike Kuchar
- Lunch Break on the Xerox Machine (2003), 16 mm, b/w, muet, 3 mn.
- Sanitarium Cinema (2002), vidéo, colour, sound, 9 mn.
- The Passion of Joan Arc (2002), video, colour, sound, 9 mn.
- Broken Blossoms (2002), vidéo, colour, sound, 10 mn.
- Loula Meets Charlie (2002), performance video at the Ontological Theater, 7 mn.
- The Touch Retouched (2002), video, colour, sonore, 6 min
–Les balades de Marie Losier, cinéaste transatlantique by Noémie Luciani, Le Monde 2014
–Just A Million Dreams, un film de Marie Losier-“Hello, I’m a Punk! ” by Alexandre Breton, 2014 Ouvrage paru : Alan Vega
– Conversation avec un Indien, editions Le Texte Vivant, Paris, 2013
-Cahier du Cinema Chantal Akerman and Marie Losier, by Nicolat Elliot, 2012
–Love Song by Esther Robinson, Filmmaker Magazine Publication, 2012
–Je serais ton mirror, by Stephane du Mesnildot, Cahiers du Cinéma, 2012
–Outtakes by Steve Dalachinsky, The Brooklyn Rail, 2012
–The Ballad of Genesis and Lady Jaye by Richard Porton, New Yorker, 2011
–Cut and Wrapped Film News by Sam Elliot Connor, Dazed and Confused, Vol 19, 2010
–Le Film Musical by Franck Lamy, Mac Val Publication, 2009
–The Berlin International Film Festival by Richard Porton, CINEASTE, Summer 2008
–A Programmer’s Chronicles Rotterdam film festival by Gertjan Zuillhof, 2007
–WHAT IS A FRENCH WESTERN? One Part Reality To Two Parts Fiction by Kristine Marx, PAJ, A Journal Of Performance and Art, PAJ 86, (2007), p. 20–30.
–Screwball Shorts, Marie Losier’s silent flicks celebrate 60s voices, Metrotimes by Sabine Gruffat, 2007
–Marie Losier, En Cinema Experimental on fait des films par amour, by Amelie Fillaudeau, Le Journal Du Festival #5, 2006
–Electrocute Your Stars! By David Filipi, Wexner Center for the Arts-Museum Publication, 2006
–The Pleasures of Melancholy An Interview with Guy Maddin by Marie Losier and Richard Porton, CINEASTE, Summer 2004
–Marie Losier, New York Storyboard by Philippe Bresson, UpStreet, numero 64, 2004